Sunday, July 24, 2011

Past to Present to Future


Roughly six months ago I moved from Austin, TX back to my home state of Ohio; I spent a year in Austin with the prospect of starting a publishing company with a friend. Once it became clear that such an endeavor wasn't possible I was forced to return under unfortunate circumstances. God has graciously provided me with a job and now I'm about where I was, possibly better off. Before this, I was set on presenting my writings to a publishing company (and even did at one point). Now I'm not so sure which path to focus on.

Releasing a graphic novel or even a comic issue on your own is very expensive (assuming you want high quality artwork and production). If I were to (currently) take an entire paycheck from a forty hour work week and use it for concepts, it could get me three black and white concept drawings or three colored speed paintings; and depending on the artist prices can vary. Then when it comes to comic pages you have a penciler, inker and a color artist. If you're really lucky you can find an artist that can do all three. So with all that in mind I am now leaning toward sending pitches to publishing companies, simply because my budget has always been low and I can't see that changing anytime soon.

So here is my current writing status: the Torn multiverse is a continual project and will most likely never be complete. Having a solid background is essential to telling any story and is even more important in a science fiction epic. A large portion of my time is in this. The prologue to the first graphic novel is finished and ready to go, even though every time I look it over I'll end up tweaking things; but I always leave feeling it's completed. The first graphic novel is in the works. I'm most likely not going to post actual dialog, etc, but I may go over the format I use for writing panels.

Artwork and more blogs to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment